Wednesday, March 3rd
Clear Sky - Wind: 3.18 Mph
48.5 °F
General Bass Fishing Discussions

Bassing Bob Forums

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ask about an area of the lake you are not familiar with or post your comment about an area.

James Yalem
    Participant

I have a question and I’m not sure what area of the forum to post it in.

I have been fishing LOZ for about one year. I fished some last fall and did not catch many. For various reasons, I have been out only a few times so far this year.

I have a general question about bass fishing LOZ. I hear all the time about brush piles and how finding them is so important to catch bass. But I have only found a few near some docks and most of the bass that I have caught so far on LOZ were not on brush piles.

I noticed that in the recent daily reports points seem to be more important than brush piles. So my question is how important is it to find brush piles and where should I look? Or should I just concentrate on more basic structure like points, bluffs or banks depending on the season?

James Yalem
    Participant

Well, I went fishing from 6:30 P.M. to 11:30 P.M. I fished from the 19 to 17 mile marker on the Osage. I started fishing some docks near the mouth of a cove to observe the boat traffic. Then I moved to main lake points after the traffic eased a bit about 8PM. I tried 5 main lake points with jigs and worm, but had no luck.

I’m new to the lake so I don’t know the fish producing points. I tried a couple on the non-channel side, 2 bluff ends next the the old river channel and one long sort of secondary point, but in the front of the cove and open to the main lake.

I guess eventually I’ll find the good points.

Traffic really eased up by dark and was non-existent after 10

Dave Bueltmann
    Participant

James, welcome to Bassing Bob and thank you for the kind comments on the website. Your question is timely as we met with our experts last night to discuss the current fishing conditions and what to expect in July. With the heavy generation your choice of main lake points was spot on. Fish the channel side of the Osage where the channel hugs the points. This pattern should continue as long as there is generation. When the generation shuts down and there is not current the bass will spread out. This is a good time to locate deeper brush piles. Keep trying those channel bank points with 3/4 or 1 OZ jigs. You can also try large plastic worms. Darker colors seem to be more effective at night.

James Yalem
    Participant

Bob; thanks for the advice. I tried 2 main lake points on the non-channel side because on Truman I used to catch many bass on such points. But I also tried two main lake points on the channel side and one secondary point with a good drop that was just inside a small cove and open to main lake.

I, also, tried some boat docks in the front part of a cove with deep water, but none had brush piles.

So where do you find the brush piles? I didn’t find any on the points or docks. Last fall I found a couple near boat docks further back in coves so I know that I need to keep looking, but where do you find most of the brush piles?

Derek Chance
    Participant

This time of year you may fish several points without a bite then roll up on one and catch multiple bass. I would continue to do what you’re doing and if you haven’t had a bite in 15-20minutes. go to another one. One of my problems is I was fishing too shallow. the best zone I have learned is fishing the 10-25ft zone with a 3/4oz or larger football jig. Like said earlier, big worms, carolina rigs etc. will work too. Good Luck

Clint Dickerson
    Participant

First I just want to say what a great site. I heard it advertised on the radio headed back from Pomme De Terre. I am stationed at FLW so LOZ is closest for me however, my 18 foot bass boat gets slaughtered at LOZ so I tend to go further out so I don’t have to deal with it. But now after watching some of the vids on this site, I think I might try LOZ at night. I’ve been to LOZ several times with my boat so I’m fairly familiar with the lake. What’s the boat traffic like around the Niangua Arm HaHa Tonka area? I’m really interested in fishing that area but have heard it’s just as busy and not very productive. Would be interested in some feedback.

Dave Bueltmann
    Participant

Clint, In addition to my previous post on Rods, Rules and Lines we will be adding brush pile locations. MDOC has provided Bassing Bob with the locations of brush piles they have placed in the Niangua. Bassing Bob will be offering these locations in various style maps and tips on fishing these brush piles. HaHa Tonka is at the 15MM of the Niangua and these brush piles are in the vicinity of the 6-8MM.
    Summertime at Lake of the Ozarks is an excellent time to fish these brush piles.
    When were you coming back to the HaHa Tonka area? Check back on Bassing Bob towards the end of this week in the article section for the maps and tips these brush piles.

Clint Dickerson
    Participant

Thanks Dave. That would definitely be good info to have. I may fish that area this coming weekend.

Dave Bueltmann
    Participant

Clint, There is a new article posted with some brush pile maps in the Niangua provided by MDC
    Check out the article “Brush Pile Maps on the Niangua”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Create a FREE Membership Upgrade to PRO
Cart 0 items - $0.00