Thursday, March 4th
Clear Sky - Wind: 3.74 Mph
44.9 °F
General Bass Fishing Discussions

Bassing Bob Forums

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steve Heitman
    Participant

Was curious as to how long it takes fish to move into newly placed hardwood brush if located in a good area?

Cliff Wolf
    Participant

This weekend we caught couple spots and 7 crappie on an oak tree top in the north shore area that fell in October. About 18” deep water near the end of it. Fish are in there. Helped that threadfin shad were thick adjacent to it also.

Brian Hansen
    Participant

I have collected about 30-40 Christmas trees to bring down to the lake and am looking for advice on how to set them and the etiquette.
    Is it better to tie 2-3 together and sink them with wire/rope on a concrete block? Set individually? Or set a lot close together?
    Also, what is the etiquette of setting a brush pile in front/side/behind someone’s private dock (10 ft or deeper)? Setting in between private docks?
    Thanks!

Dave Bueltmann
    Participant

Heatherw10, here is a detailed article on sinking brush piles on bassingbob.com

Creating Brushpiles At Lake Of The Ozarks: A Do-It-Yourself Labor Of Love

Thanks Dave

Steve Heitman
    Participant

As for brush placement I myself would not place by a persons dock because you would not have YOUR brush pile and others will find very quickly fishing docks as well as the property owners may swim near their docks and may not appreciate such brush. I would place on flat close to deep water with something on bank you could use for boat positioning if possible. Place in pockets, points, barren banks and such to have your own pile for a little while anyway. The more trees you plant the easier to find pile but not necessarily better fishing. I used moving blankets over my carpet and top cap, a old pontoon boat would be great. Good luck and good fishing.

Mick Portell
    Participant

I thought I’d share some personal experience with the brush pile initiative. First off, I’m a developing angler, having only been fishing for about 3 years. A few months ago I decided to give planting brush in the lake a try. I researched the Bassing Bob site and as many other articles as I could find on the subject. I organized all the materials and committed last Saturday to executing the plan. I worked from sunrise to sundown last Saturday and was able to sink somewhere between 25-30 separate piles. That was after spending a good portion of a day several weekends ago cutting up the timber and hauling it the 3+ hours from St. Louis along with a heavy load of concrete. Then we carried all the materials down down 2 flights of stairs to the condo dock.

The biggest take away from my experience is – it’s a hell of a lot of work. I work out regularly and believe I’m in pretty decent shape. My body was shot at the end of Saturday and I woke up Sunday in pain from head to toe. Also plan for a two person job if you want to get very many out. It’s a terrible mess in the boat too. I used moving blankets and that did help, but my boat was a still an awful mess at the end of the day.

We made our piles out of one cedar cut down to 6-8 ft and also a forked hardwood limb about the same length all tied up to concrete blocks. We targeted a variety of points and the edge of a flats right at the drop off into really deep water. Based on marking them on my graph I think we were pretty successful on most of the drops. At the end of the day I relocated a few on the graph and threw a jig on them; successfully finding them on the bottom. So while it was a ton of work it will be very gratifying if I’m fortunate enough to target and catch fish some quality fish on them in coming years.

So that’s all I know about it for now. I’ll post back later in the year and report any luck with my piles. If it’s a complete failure, I will just have lost a little sweat equity, but also got to spend a beautiful day on LOZ…..and that isn’t bad at all.

Derek Chance
    Participant

Also realize that not all piles will hold fish. If you go and sink 10, only a couple may hold fish. but I think it is well worth it considering you have a pile that others won’t know about.

Derek Chance
    Participant

Also realize that not all piles will hold fish. If you go and sink 10, only a couple may hold fish. but I think it is well worth it considering you have a pile that others won’t know about.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Create a FREE Membership Upgrade to PRO
Cart 0 items - $0.00