Wednesday, March 3rd
Clear Sky - Wind: 3.44 Mph
58.1 °F
Welcome To Bassing Bob Lake Of The Ozarks Bass Fishing Forum

Bassing Bob Forums

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob Chesnut
    Participant

In July and August bass fisherman in Missouri can only cull one time if they are fishing a 5 limit tournament, if they are in a six limit tournament there is no culling allowed. Thought you might want to make sure the guys know for the summer sizzler and all the rest of the tournaments in July and August Bob. This is a good rule because mortality rate is high in the summer

Mike Wiest
    Participant

Where is basing bob response.

Bob Chesnut
    Participant

Bassing Bob could you spell the culling rule of the MDC out in your rules for the summer sizzler. This rule is more important than using a-rigs or fishing in a certain area you don’t like. This rule will help keep down the mortality rate of the fish. Just because a fish swims away after the weigh-in doesn’t mean it survives. Please clarify this in your rules because it wouldn’t be fair to the fisherman who follow the MDC rules in the tournament.

Brian Hansen
    Participant

From what I am reading, it is per angler and not boat. Also, from what I can find, an angler is allowed to be in possession of 6 black bass in the state of MO (I couldn’t find a LOZ daily limit, so please correct me if I am wrong). So in a team tournament situation, if you and your partner caught fish evenly, you should be allowed to release 7 bass from your live well (I get it doesn’t always happen that way). However, how often do you make 7 culls in a tournament? I would much rather see people culling than you and your partner putting 6 bass each in your live well. To me this is kind of a gray area and the MDC doesn’t really define a team tournament situation. The fishery is extremely healthy and one small tournament is not going to destroy it. Also, the anglers fishing the Summer Sizzler are usually the best anglers on the lake with the best boats/live wells. These are the guys who care more about the fish/fishery than most on the lake.

Tom Heisler
    Participant

There is nothing vague about the law. Culling is illegal in the state of Missouri. The decision to keep or release is made when the fish is caught. The only exception is during bass tournaments between September and June. Daily limit is 6 black bass. When the fish is placed in the livewell you are in possession and whatever you do with it afterwards it counts toward your daily limit.

Brian Hansen
    Participant

You are correct, I shouldn’t have put gray area as the law is black and white. I just wanted to clarify that it is per angler and not per boat. In most team tournaments you are only allowed 5 bass in your livewell at one time. For simplicity, the guy in the front of the boat catches 5 keepers, he can put them in the livewell. If the guy in the back of the boat then catches 5 larger keepers, the guy in the front of the boat can release all 5 of his bass. Each angler is then allowed to cull one more time before they are at their daily limit and must be done fishing for the day. I agree the law needs to be followed, but from what I ready above, it didn’t paint a clear picture on a team tournament situation to me. Also, the following is in the BassingBob official rules –“All Missouri Department of Conservation and Missouri State Water Patrol regulations and laws apply.” I would think it would be the anglers responsibility to know these rules/law. The no A-rig and off-limits are called out because they are specific rules put in place for this tournament that do not apply to the MDC. I was a bit confused (I’m a little slow) when I read the original post and was hoping to clear it up for myself and anyone else thinking about fishing a tournament the next 2 months who may have had questions.

Bob Chesnut
    Participant

Heather are you bassing bob because I ask him to spell it out in the rules so I know. IF he would clarify the rule everyone would be on the same page, not this guy said or she said. he spells out the arig and off limits but I believe the most important rule is the culling rule with the heat that time of year. It doesn’t matter if its a small tournament or a big one or the best fisherman on the lake (lol). THE FIRST PRIORITY SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF THE FISH FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS.

Phil Williams
    Participant

It would seem that this subject is being ignored.

Steve Galczynski
    Participant

It’s being ignored because 90% of tournament angler’s do not follow it. Saving the fish is important but not as important as cashing a check to these guys.

Brian Hansen
    Participant

Bassing Bob Summer Bass Sizzler 2017 – Rules
    Safety and Sportsmanship:
    Safe boating and fishing practices must be observed. Life jackets must be worn at any time the big motor is running. ****All Missouri Department of Conservation and Missouri State Water Patrol regulations and laws apply****. Alcohol consumption is not permitted in a contestant’s boat during tournament hours.

It is our responsibility as anglers to know the regulations and laws.
    From the MDC website https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/regulations

Culling
    Any fish you catch is included in your daily limit unless you release it unharmed immediately. You may not replace smaller fish in your possession with larger ones caught later. You need to make a keep-or-release decision as soon as the fish is caught.
    There is one exception: if, from September through June, you are a participant in a bona fide catch-and-release black bass tournament (one after which all bass are released alive) that requires entrants to have a boat livewell with adequate capacity and a pump constantly adding fresh or recirculating water, the black bass you release unharmed from the livewell need not be included in your daily limit. At no time may the daily limit be exceeded.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Create a FREE Membership Upgrade to PRO
Cart 0 items - $0.00