Wednesday, March 3rd
Clear Sky - Wind: 3.44 Mph
58.1 °F
Bass Clubs, Tournaments

Bassing Bob Forums

Home Forums Bass Clubs, Tournaments This Saturday’s First Bassin Bob Tourney

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Marty Bohlke Jr
    Participant

Hey Bob we are gonna be up to fish this weekends Bassin Bob winter tournament on sat. Not sure if we will get to practice or not. Robins is the takeoff correct at 8:00 i was told.

Also question on the off limits the bait shop in town said off limits is Phahatesi point all the way to lazy days also. So lazy days coves are off limit all the way to phahatesi point. Just wanted to make sure that is correct.

Ty for your time Bob, any other thing we should know let me know. See ya on Saturday morning.
    Marty

Bob Bueltmann
    Participant

Hi Marty,
    I’m glad to hear that you will be fishing the tournament, I look forward to seeing you. You are correct regarding off limits areas from Pha Hi Si to Lazy Days, including Lazy Days coves…this was input from my experts. Also, Robins cove is off limits too. We will take off at 8:00, registration at Robins will begin at 6:00 AM. No multi rigs (Alabama Rigs). Be sure to take a look at the payouts as we have lots of ways for you to make some dough, besides just top 3 weights. I hope that this helps. See you next Saturday.
    Bob

Mike Koenig
    Participant

I would have really liked to fish the tourney but the COLD is not my thing. Although you could not have wished for better weather! I also want to add that I find the site invaluable. I look at it daily and couldn’t be happier with the content.

Now for my gripe. I was reviewing the results from the 1st tournament and saw that two of the sites experts cashed. That seems unfair to me and it seems to contradict the intent of the site doesn’t it? I thought the site was geared around amateur, average-joe type fisherman looking for advice and knowledge. I’d assume your tournament would have been run the same. I think you will scare away more anglers than you will attract with this practice.

Sure it would be fun to beat a pro of the caliber of Sykora or Fitzpatrick, but the odds are slim to none for a guy like me, with limited knowledge of the Lake compared to these guys, to win.

I offer a suggestion for a future event(s). Do like bowling does and do a “Beat the Champ” type event. Pay the pro a portion of the events entry fee for his time, but have the prize money exclusive to the entrants. Beat the champ and you cash. Multiples would split up the prize. If no one beats the pro you could roll the funds over to the next event creating a bigger cash payout. Entrants would need to be amateurs. It would be closed to pro’s, guides, and people who have cashed more than $X over that last year in bass tourney’s at the Lake. Just my opinion. And we all know they are like a##holes, everybody has one! Just like me…

I will continue to be a daily reader and part time contributor. The concept of the site is awesome! Keep up the great work!

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Marty Bohlke Jr
    Participant

I thought Bassin Bob ran a great tourney this weekend. Bass tournaments are open to anybody and that means amatures, regional guys, and pros. It’s just part of the sport my friend. Bob had a couple differant payouts that were unique and gave some people a chance to cash. Also with the no alabama rig rule really puts the playing field back to square one. The were 40 or so boats which was a really good draw for a winter series. I hope the next one draws more and I think it will. I think you should come out and try the next one goaltender8 , and you could definetly make some new friends even and have some fun on the water.

Anthony Ferranto
    Participant

Goaltender8 makes some good points…but fishing against better sticks will only improve your own abilities that much faster than if it were against those of a lesser caliber. It makes you concentrate and focus far more on your presentation, surroundings, ect. Competing against more experienced anglers will do wonders for your confidence. Fishing is not always about who has the most knowledge of the lake, the most waypoints, or sponsors…..but the one who goes out and executes their game plan in their areas. Marcus, James, Jack and company are great sticks, no doubt! But fishing is so much about attitude and remaining positive. Put your practice in both on and off the lake; study past results, winning patterns, weather and lake conditions. Then, go out there and go to work! The competition isn’t as much as you verses the anglers as it is you verses the lake and the fish you seek. At the end of the day, tip your hat to those you found’em, evaluate your own performance, thank God for the day on the lake, and it surely beat the hell out of being at work.

Good Luck

Bob Bueltmann
    Participant

All,
    Thank you for your comments regarding the tournament. I really appreciate the feedback and all of your comments are very heart felt and courteous, I truly appreciate your thoughts and comments. Goaltender, you are spot on regarding the intent of the Bassing Bob website, the content is focused on helping every single angler that bass fishes at Lake of the Ozarks, new anglers, average anglers like me, vacationer anglers and tournament fisherman too. As an average angler myself, before I retired to the lake, I was always searching for some insight to help me catch bass when I came to the lake for tournaments or vacation and it just did not exist in any concentrated central place. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the web site and its content and your enjoying the site. we are always looking for ways to improve the content and information, so please keep your input coming, this site is for you and others like you. As for the tournament pay-outs, I also appreciate your input and would encourage additional thoughts. As we tried to make some interesting pay-out scenarios that would pay fisherman of different levels, it was quite cir***stantial that Wayne Fitzpatrick, one of the best sticks on the lake had an off day and happen to win the slot prize with just over 11 pounds. For this first tournament series, we just tried to make up some different scenarios to reward fisherman of all levels. We did write checks for a 11 pound bag and a 9 pound bag. I really had hoped that we would have had another name paid out for big bass. So, for our first tournament, our intent maybe was not realized perfectly, but it is our intent to payout others than the best sticks on the lake. I also happen to agree with other forum posts that when fishing a tournament at the lake, that you must come knowing that it will take 16-20+ pounds to be at the top of the payout. That can happen with anyone, as an example I fished AiA tournament a few weeks ago and weighed in almost 20 pounds for fourth place. While I fished with Jack a guide, I had 3 of the big bass and we caught our biggest bass in about a 2 hour timeframe running my suggested patterns…..a bit of practice and following what the experts of BB say each month will put you on fish for sure and I am living proof of that :). I like your idea of beating the experts….maybe we can work on a format like that for next year, or add more slot prizes, etc. We also plan to do a summer tournament series during daytime when most tournament trails only do night tournaments, perhaps we can experiment with some different payout scenarios. Please keep your comments and input coming. This website and tournaments are for you, so I am all ears for suggestions. Thank you all for your membership and participation in the forums. We monitor them daily. Bob

Mike Koenig
    Participant

LOZ Marty, Ferranto, and Hawghunter

I love all the feedback – that’s what makes a site like this work! Just as an FYI, I started fishing tournaments regularly this past year. I fished the BWSTA and went up against some of the best at the Lake every tournament (even the Hibdon’s a few times!). I never cashed but was always above midway which was my goal for the first year. Our team finished 19 out of 85 for the season which was quite a surprise for my partner and I. I have also fished the BBB, spring and fall, the last 3 years. So I get it – tourney’s are usually open to all – I just ASSUMED this one may have been different based on the sponsor. That was my only motivation for the post. I have no ill will toward the winners. In fact I started following Mark Sikora online since this website and have great admiration for him and I really follow what he has to say.

I’m glad to hear that the site has some summer events planned. I plan to fish a few of them. Being a flatlander from the Chicago area its hard to get down to the Lake year round.

To Hawghunter – I have a rain check from you to fish together and I plan to use it very soon! If you’re available on 3/1 (I know its the BFL) but it will be my practice day for the USAngler tourney on 3/2 – let me know…

Marty Bohlke Jr
    Participant

Goaltender

That’s cool you from chicagoloand area, i was born and raised up there. I grew up fishing the fox chain o,lakes and lake geneva in southern wisconsin. I been down in missouri now 9 years my friend. Missouri has some awesome fishing. Come over and say hi at Anglers Choice i will be there on march 2nd gonna be a great event. My rod sponsor is gonna give 2 TFO Tactical Series rods for that first event march 2nd make sure you pay in advance you will get 300 dollars in rods. We worked out a great deal for that first Anglers Choice Tourney on th March 2nd.

Also if you every need anything Goaltender or at least a start in the right direction just let me know. I have been very fortuantate on LOZ and have around 7 or 8 regional wins out there and fish that lake very heavy. I live 100 miles from there and 25 from table rock but I fish LOZ a ton my friend. Just let me know I would more than happy to steer ya in right direction at least.

Have a good night goaltender

Mike Koenig
    Participant

To: LOZMarty

I am already signed up and paid. The rod deal was too good to pass up! I will definitely look for you there. That’s awesome that you’ve got a sponsor like that. My hope is to move down there in 4-5 years once my boy is in college, and then chase the dream of fishing regularly.

I fished a ton as a boy. My grandparents had a place on the Kankakee River growing up. But I lost the desire in my teens. We bought a houseboat at the Lake 8 years ago, sold it, and now have a condo. I caught the bug again and can’t stop fishing.

I’d like nothing more to hook up with you when you have some time. My email is goalie_3@yahoo.com and I look forward to seeing you on the 3/2!

Mike

Bob Bueltmann
    Participant

All,
    Again, thanks for your great comments and camaraderie. Goaltender, the rain check is solid, however I will be fishing AiA in March 1 and Anglers Choice on March 2. If you happen to get here on Thursday or Friday that week, just let me know, I am sure that I could learn a ton from you :). I had lunch with Marcus today, we discussed some format ideas, such as “beat the best” or “fish with the best”, etc. While I am just kind of turning the rubiks cube for now to come up with some unique formats that works for everyone, stay tuned and keep your ideas coming. I am a bit of a renegade and willing to try anything within reason. Who knows, maybe a big bass format in the middle of the summer….I am just hoping to give all of average guys a chance to feel success (as you had with BWTSA) and yet keep the best sticks interested, as I lean on them to share their insights to help us all get better. Thanks guys!!! You all rock and are so appreciated by me and the BB team. Bob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Create a FREE Membership Upgrade to PRO
Cart 0 items - $0.00